Saturday, January 7, 2012


Follow through has never been my strong suit. I don't think that I am really lazy, I just get distracted easily. I start project and something comes up or the pattern is to hard. I get impatient about the amount of time it takes or I just run out of time.

I recently moved into some new diggs! After years of sewing in closets, having all my spinning and knitting stuff piled by the side of the couch and under beds, two knitting machines that my aunt gave me still in boxes, and having the loom that is intrusted to me under a sheet for several years...I moved into my new sewing/spinning/knitting/weaving/crafting room. I came up with a better name for it rather than "Mom's Sewing Room" since I do more than just sew. Calling it my "Studio" like some of my Spinning Guild members call theirs seemed presumptive (I'm not that good). I call it the Growlery, because it is where I go to growl. It is from Dickens "Bleak House", I love myself a good period drama!


Upon moving into the Growlery, I found lots of UFO's (UnFinished Objects). It was almost like Area 51! All sorts of stuff! Bags of fabric with fabric, pattern and notions all waiting to be made, fiber partially spun, spun yarn in need of attention, it was shocking...shocking! The goal is to finish it all. Sounds easy enough right. I'm a bright youngish woman with medium talent and lots of ideas...I just don't have lots of time.



We all have time constraints but some manage to get lots done. Not me. My setbacks include being a stay-at-home/homeschooling mom who has a "microfarm" (an acre with lots of fruit trees and a huge garden with a few farm animals thrown into the mix). Not much "me" time. But I do get to do a lot of "sitting around waiting for kids" time. My older son, who is a Sophomore, does more of an independent study so all I have to do is poke him to make sure he is on task. My younger son is in 3rd grade but has had some learning issues that make it harder for him to do things on his own but has some things where I just need to sit with him and poke him to keep him on track. Since school seems to have a lot of poking involved I usually sit between them and poke them with knitting needles and get some work done at the same time.

The premise here is to pick one or two idems that need to be finished and get it done within the month, posting as I go. I'm hoping it all works out!

No comments:

Post a Comment